Recipe from bbcgoodfood.com, April 2012
Original recipe sourced from Butter Hearts Sugar
Lemon Lime White Chocolate Mudcake
(based on recipe from Womens Weekly, Cakes Biscuits and Slices)
250 grams butter
2 teaspoons lime juice
180g white chocolate
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup self-raisin flour
2 eggs lightly beaten
Coconut White Chocolate Ganache
140ml can coconut cream
360 grams white chocolate
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon lime zest
To make the Mudcake
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees c. Grease a round 20cm cake pan and line the base and sides woth baking paper, leaving a 2cm overhang at the top.
- Add the butter, lime, white chocolate and sugar to a medium sized saucepan. Stir all the ingredients over a low heat until smooth. Transfer in a large mixing bowl, add in milk and allow to cool.
- Add the sifted flours and the eggs to the liquid mixture, stir until combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared cake pan and bake for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, until cake tests done. Allow the cake to cool in the pan.
- While the cake is cooling make the coconut ganache.
- Turn the cake out of the pan top side up, cover with the white chocolate coconut ganache.
To make the Ganache
- Finely chop the white chocolate, combine the chocolate, lemon and lime in a medium bowl.
- Pour the coconut cream into a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and stir until smooth. You may need to mix over the double boiler until the white chocolate melts.
- Cover the bowl and place in the fridge for about half an hour. Stir the mixture occasionally until spreadable.